Two Tax Messages from Councilman Agelasto
1. If you made less than $58,000 in 2015, you can prepare and file your federal and state taxes for free. The Department of Social Services and Office of Multicultural affairs have partnered with MetroCASH Tax Coalition to help you do your taxes. To find a location near you, visit their site.
2. Real Estate Tax Relief for the Elderly and Disabled! Those applying to participate in the program for the first time will need to complete and file their application by March 31. Once their application has been reviewed and the exemption amount for which they are qualified is determined, one-half of the exemption will be applied to the January 14 tax bill that has been paid and the taxpayer will receive a refund for the amount of the first half exemption for which they remitted a payment on January 14, 2014.
To Qualify the Applicant Must:
- Be 65 years old by 12-31-2013 or be disabled at any age
- Be the property owner or share ownership of the property as of January 1, 2015
- Live in the property
- Have a gross income of less than 50,000 for the 2015 calendar year
- Have a total net worth of less than 200,000 for the 2015 calendar year